Friday, December 21, 2012

YUBA RIVER - BLOWN OUT - CHRISTMAS 2012 STEELHEAD


Totay was scheduled to be a Steelhead fishing day out on the Yuba River. My gear was ready. I was ready. The big winter storm held off and the Mayan's calendar was not correct so it looked like as if everything was going to work out. Well it didn't.


The Yuba river's flow is controlled by the dam at Lake Englebright and with the "Big Strom" coming the  dam was opened by the California Dept. of Water Resources which blew the river out.

The Yuba fishes well when it's flow is below 2,000 cubic feet per second like it was on Dec 17th. Today it is running at 3,000.

At this point I'm not sure what has been more hyped the Big storm or the end of the world. I'm leaning toward the storm as it has been are larger disappointment.


If you plan to travel to fish the Yuba river system, I would suggest contacting Tom Page at Reel Anglers Fly Shop in Grass Valley as he is full of local knowledge and he is not your typical shop owner as he is willing to share information.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let me know what's on your mind....