Sunday, March 3, 2013

NEVADA COUNTY COLOR - JONSEY REMEMBERED


While at dinner the other night, the discussion of Nevada county's colorful people came up. One long time resident brought up the name Jonesy. Apparently this thespian would stand on the street corners in both Nevada City and Grass Valley and sing as well as recite lines from theatrical show. I enjoyed learning about this colorful man I hope you do as well.

The information listed below was obtained from various web sources.

Birth: Aug. 31, 1911
Death: Aug. 5, 2004

A celebration of life for Raymond Frederick "Jonesy" Jones will be conducted 3 p.m. Sunday at the Nevada City United Methodist Church Fellowship Hall, 433 Broad St. The "Praise Band" will be playing and cake and coffee will be served. You are encouraged to dress in Jonesy style and bring your best story about Jonesy. Pastor Jerry D. Smith will officiate the services. Burial was at the Rough and Ready Cemetery.

Jonesy died Thursday, Aug. 5, at Spring Hill Manor in Grass Valley. He was 92.

He was born Aug. 31, 1911, in Indiana, to William Jones and Marian Heinz. He was a member of the Nevada City United Methodist Church. He enjoyed playing music on the streets of Nevada City, and dressing wild.

He was preceded in death by two sisters and one brother.

Memorial contributions may be made to the Nevada City United Methodist Church for a headstone for "Jonesy."

Arrangements are under the direction of Chapel of the Angels Mortuary.
~~~~~~~~~~~~

**From the Grass Valley Union, LETTERS TO THE EDITOR, Nov. 20, 2004:
My sister called me about the passing of Raymond Frederick "Jonesy" Jones, and I read your obituary on The Union's Web site with sadness. I first saw Jonesy in Santa Barbara, Calif., in the 1970s. He was always cheerful and often had a tambourine.

One day I saw him on State Street, in Santa Barbara and looked away for a bit. When I looked back, he had disappeared. He had been in front of a long building about a half-block away. It was a major stock brokerage firm and he must have gone inside. I always wondered if perhaps he was just a wealthy eccentric.

A few years later, in the 1980s, I was in Nevada City, where my mother lived, and who should I see but Jonesy! The next chance I had, I parked my car and sat down next to him on the bench and chatted with him for a while. One thing I remember is that he said he liked the Nevada City-Grass Valley area. He will be missed.
Kathie Harine
Madison, Ala. 
 
Burial:
Rough And Ready Cemetery
Nevada County
California, USA

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let me know what's on your mind....