Thursday, February 21, 2013


There were many hard fouls a few offensive fouls and a head that hit the floor. When all the banging stopped the Lady Bruins were the team left standing. Tonight's basketball game was like a prize fight.

Bear River played the final 4 minutes of their 57-44 second round slug-fest victory without their senior leader Sarah Hagar who's head hit the floor coming down with one of her many rebounds. She has been the I'll do anything girl for the Bruins all season.

The game began with Dixon jumping out to an 11~6 lead as the Bruins looked surprised by the Visitors speed. Hagar proceeded to knock down a long range 2 and then picked up a steal which led to two foul shots by Maddie Dunn to move the score to 11~10. Katelyn Reina followed up with knocking down back to back shots to take the lead at 14~11. Dixon's coach called a timeout with 1:20 to play in first attempting to slowdown the surging Lady Bruins. The first quarter ended with the score 16~13.

Bear River sent Dixon into the bonus with 3:31 to play in the half but the visiting team failed to convert their foul shots going 1-for-9. Savanah Welz hit a 3 at the 2:13 mark to move the score to 25~15. Dixon looked out of sync as Bear River was the much more aggressive team as they dove on the floor for many loose balls. Reina was to much operating out of the post while Hagar was to much on the outside as the first half closed with a score of 30~16. The Lady Bruins held Dixon to 3 points in the second quarter.

After the intermission Dixon deployed a  2~2~1 which sped up the game and at times looked like a rugby game. Teryn Rath picked up her 4th foul at 334 and Reina was called for her 3rd with 4 min to play in the 3rd. While the Lady Bruin's bigs where in foul trouble Bear River went to Hagar who carried the load to end of third stanza at 40~28.

Early in the fourth quarter Hagar hit her head on the floor and went to the sidelines with the score 48~33 in the fourth with 5 min to play and did not return to action. The game was a little sloppy as Dixon attempted to speed up the game. The gym got very loud when Dixon cut the lead to 50~38. Reina did pick up her 4th foul on a and one which cut the Bear River lead to 10. Dixon got a turnover and proceeded cut it to 8. But Dixon was forced to foul Bear River who made enough foul shots down the stretch to pull out the win and move to the third round.

COLFAX defeated Liberty Ranch by a score of 63-53 led by Lady Falcon senior Kaila Tremeureux who dropped 18 points in the win.

A Bear River versus Colfax in the final sure would be fun. Great job to both teams.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let me know what's on your mind....